Frequently Asked Questions About H.S.C.L.
Who is the H.S.C.L. co-ordinator?
• My name is Annette Horan and I am the H.S.C.L. co-ordinator for St. Joseph’s C.B.S., Sunday’s Gate, Drogheda
• I work very closely with the H.S.C.L. co-ordinators in St. Patricks B.N.S. and St. Brigid’s G.N.S. (Maeve Murphy) and Presentation Primary School (Graham Kierans)
• Prior to becoming the H.S.C.L. co-ordinator I worked as a teacher in the school for 13 years
What is H.S.C.L. about?
• H.S.C.L. is about bringing parents closer to their children’s education
• Providing a link between home and school
• Offering parents opportunities to take part in a range of self development courses and activities
• Offering parents opportunities to take part in learning initiatives in the classroom where the opportunity arises
What does the H.S.C.L. co-ordinator do?
• A big part of my job is to visit parents in their homes. I try get to call on as many families as possible at least once during their time at the school to say “Hello” and introduce myself.
• Another large part of my job is to arrange courses, classes and events for parents. The classes are designed to fit a whole range of interests and needs of parents.
• It is also up to the H.S.C.L. co-ordinator to organise initiatives where parents get the opportunity to work with the teacher and children in the classroom. This is a hugely beneficial and enjoyable experience for all concerned
• It is important for the H.S.C.L. to have a profile and develop links in the community with youth organisations, the H.S.E., and the N.E.W.B. to name but a few. I need to be able to know what services are out there to support families.
It is important as H.S.C.L. to promote good attendance and support the Education Welfare Officer.
What does the H.S.C.L not do?
• It is not my job to report back personal details of a family to the school staff. Anything that a parent says to me is treated with the utmost confidentiality. I will only divulge information about a family at the request of that family.
• It is also not my job to listen to complaints about staff members. If a parent has an issue with a teacher or their child’s progress they will need to deal with that issue with the teacher of principal.
- What has happened for parents last year?
• Computer courses for parents – FETAC level 3 and 4
• Irish Classes
• Maths Classes
• Personal Development
• Flower arranging
• Skincare and beauty
• Science for Dads
• Indian Cooking
• English for Beginners
• Guitar Classes
• GAA Coaching
• Maths for Fun
How can I contact the H.S.C.L. co-ordinator?
My mobile phone number is 087-4415892 and I can also be contacted at the school on 041-9833620. My e-mail address is email@example.com.