My name is Ellen Dillane, I will be your son’s third class teacher. There will be third and fourth class in our room this year. I am looking forward to working alongside you to ensure your child’s re-introduction to school life is fully supported.
Please be assured that I will do my upmost to ensure your son feels safe, secure and happy in his new school environment, at St. Josephs CBS.
As I am sure you’re already aware school life this year will look slightly different to previous years; to allow for safety precautions to be introduced to assist in minimising the risk of Covid-19 for our entire school community.
Please find below some points to be aware of going forward for the coming school year.
- Your son’s classroom will be located in the Green Building (which can be seen inside the main school gates.)
His classroom is called G3. This classroom is found at the end of the corridor, on the ground floor.
He will use the main school gates each day to enter and exit the school grounds.
- On Thursday, 27th of August, I will collect your son and his classmates from the yard outside the Green Building and walk them to their new classroom. I will ensure the class know where amenities such as toilets are located.
- From Monday, 31st of August onwards, your son should immediately walk to his new classroom on his arrival at school. He will enter through the brown door, located on the left-hand side of the Green Building. I will be waiting in the classroom to greet the students.
- Inside the classroom, the students will be organised into groups called pods. Each pod is at least 1 metre from other pupils and 2 metres from my teaching station; as recommended by the Department of Education.
- I will also be wearing a mask inside the classroom, as I am pregnant. I will be using a voice amplifier to ensure all pupils can clearly hear me.
- Students will be asked to sanitise their hands as they enter and exit the classroom, before they eat and at regular appointed times during the course of the school day.
- Please ensure your son is familiar with and practices coughing and handwashing etiquette before returning to school.
- Each class i.e. class bubble will mix only with their own individual class from arrival at school in the morning until departure at the end of the school day. The class will have their own designated area on the school yard.
- Your son will use his own stationary, including pencils, rubbers, sharpener, colours, glue etc. Please label all your son’s uniform, bag and other items.
- Talk positively about the return to school with your child. I understand that both you the parent, and your son will be anxious about returning to school and I will do everything I can to make this transition as smooth and as happy as possible. I will focus on wellbeing and friendship (SPHE), PE in the first few weeks as well as revision and catch up work in the areas of language development (Irish and English), Mathematics.